Extract taken from Kelly's Directory 1927.
In 1915 The Church of St Michael and All Angels is an edifice of Forest Stone, with Bath Stone dressings, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower (the only remaining portion of the old church which was destroyed by fire in 1699.) The tower contains six bells.
The church was rebuilt in 1869 under the direction of Mr F.R.Kempson, architect of Hereford, at a cost of £2,000, solely defrayed by the late H Crawshay esq of Oaklands Park. The stained east window is a memorial from Isabella Waters to her parents Isabella Stubs (died 1904) and Peter Stubs (died 1905) of Blaisdon Hall; in their memory also the tower was repaired, the five existing bells recast and a sixth bell added by their daughter Mrs Macliver in 1912. In the same year the clock tower was added by Colin Macliver Esq. J.P. There is also a window inserted in 1912 to the memory of the Rev. Edward Douglas Jones, Rector 1896 - 1911. There are sittings for nearly 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1635.
(GPO and Ordinance Survey reference GL17 OAG / OS ref 703183)
BLAISDON CHURCH ROOF REPAIR PROJECT
The roof of St Michael and All Angels, Blaisdon formed part of the major rebuilding of 1869 and it has generally stood the test of time. After some 150 years, though, parts of the roof started to show their age and surveys indicated that substantial work was needed, particularly to the cast iron guttering and coping stones. Blaisdon PCC launched a roof restoration project in 2015 to make the necessary repairs.
A generous grant from the NHMF Listed Places of Worship Roof Repair Fund allowed the repairs to be carried out during the summer of 2016, with work being completed in late August. Without the grant, we could not have proceeded.
Working with Integrated Architecture of Gloucester and MCH Building Services Ltd of Stonehouse we have:
•Replace all the cast iron rainwater guttering, which was cast specially for the Church in the 1860s. Replacements were cast by Hargreaves of Halifax, one of the few firms remaining that have the capability to do this work
•Repaired or replaced coping stones on the nave and chancel. Some of the 150-year old Bath stones are wearing well but others were starting to disintegrate.
•Undertaken a number of other roof jobs – replacing cracked slates with reclaimed Welsh slates to achieve a colour match, resetting stonework and pointing.
We were pleased to be able to maintain all our Sunday Services during several months of building